Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tattoo

I have had this idea for a tattoo for at least three years and last Saturday I finally went and got it. It's a nun orchid which is the national flower of Guatemala with a heart in the middle and a baby inside the heart. It represents not only the love I have of my children's birth country but also the joy of adoption. We have told our children that I can't grow babies in my tummy but instead I grow babies in my heart. The funny part is this little metaphore needed some explaining recently. Evi now understands that when a woman is growing a baby in her tummy, the tummy gets larger. She thought that I grew her in my heart the same way she has seen other women grow babies in her tummy. I explained that she too grew like a flower in her birth mother's tummy in Guatemala but while we were waiting for her to come home to us she grew in my heart. I think she may have gotten it.

No comments: