Friday, July 30, 2010

Life books



I finally finished Bubba's life book this week. It's always bitter sweet to talk to the kids about being adopted and their lifebooks are a great way to help them learn their story. It's one thing to talk with them about being adopted and telling them that they were born in Guatemala, but the life book explains more about why they were adopted. It's their story from the beginning starting from before they were born. It's written in a way that they can begin to understand how all babies were created by a man and a woman and they grow in the mommy's tummy. It's so important for them to know that even though they were adopted and not born into our family that they were born and started their life the same as everyone else. The book includes pictures of their birth mothers as well as information about their birth families. So much of this information is hard for them to understand at this stage in their life but it's important to start talking about it now. Both Goose and Bubba have a life book that is available to them at any time. When they are curious or want to know more about their adoption story it's there for them. I made Goose's life book about a year ago when I began to realize she needed to know more then "I'm adopted and was born in Guatemala." We made the book together and spent some time reading it. At this point she isn't really interested in reading her book and that's fine. I'm glad to know it's there for her if and when she needs it. Bubba and I decorated his book today and read through it. I can tell he really doesn't understand it right now. Hopefully he will want to read it and begin to understand his story.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Do think it was better to do the book with Evi then to do it for Robert?
I did a book for Isabel when she was only a few months old. Just a small one I did online that tells her adoption story. But it's not really what she'll need as she grows and starts to ask questions. I want to do it now but wonder if I should wait to do it with her.

Do you do anything for the kids you foster, to send with them of their time with you?

The Family said...

Debbie,
I am really glad i have done one for both of them. I got all my information on how to set up the book and what to say from "Lifebooks: Creating a Treasure for the Adopted Child." It makes telling all aspects of adoption easier for us and I'm sure it makes hearing it feel safe and easy. I think it's a good idea to wait so that she can help you put it together. Then they can take ownership of their story. I do have a book for our foster son as well. I bought it on-line. If he goes home he will take it with him. I also do shutterfly books for all my kids. The foster kids that leave us then at least have a record of their time spent with us that is told through pictures and words.

Deb said...

Thanks! I think I have that book.

That's what I plan on doing with our future foster children.