Monday, May 3, 2010

Remembering Bernie today

Today marks the day that Bernie Babel went to be with the Lord six years ago. It so hard to believe that he has been gone for six years. I wish he could be here to see his grandkids. I know he would be over the moon for them. I especially think he would get a kick out of Evi. So much has happened since he has been gone. Willy got married, Mary I. got married, Jeremy adopted 2 beautiful kids and fosters many others, and Ben continues his legacy at Big Run. Today Bernie's family remembers what an amazing man he was. A devoted husband and father, active member of his community and church, and of course a champion golfer (I threw that one in for Bernie.) Bernie was a friend to everyone he met and would do anything for everyone. I know he is looking down at his family from heaven and is proud of all of them. He has four amazing children who grew up to be pretty amazing adults. All his children graduated from college, went on to get masters degrees and continue to extend themselves outside their family through mission work such as Pud's Builders (also known as Hills and Hollars.)

I didn't know Bernie as well as many people did but I do remember his weekly phone calls when Jeremy and I were first married. He would always call on his way home from work (sorry Oprah) just to see what was going on, I always wondered why he didn't call Jeremy's cell phone but I think he knew he would get way more information from me. He loved having us over for Sunday dinner, one of my favorites was his homemade soup. Bernie's life touched so many people which was evidenced at his funeral and wake. Although he is gone from this earth he will never be gone from our hearts and his legacy lives on through his children.

Thank you Bernie for all that you did during your years here on earth. You were a great example to us all. I especially thank you and Nancy for Jeremy. You would be so proud of him, he is like you in all the best ways.






No comments: