Sunday, September 12, 2010

Have a New Kid by Friday

This Sunday MBH and I started a parenting class offered at our churches adult education time.  I am really committing this year to having the kids attend Sunday school at 10:00 a.m.  Last year we barely made it (okay it was even less then barley) and so this year I really want to have them involved with the Sunday school program.  In my defense we do attend worship each week at 11:00 and about a third of the way through the children ages 2-2nd grade go down for a mini Sunday school class, so it's not like I totally failed :). But this year I'm hoping to step it up a notch and start going to both.  It's a great way to start attending adult education time which coincides with children's education sessions.  I was really excited that our church was offering another parenting class.  This session we will be watching the DVD series entitled "Have a New Kid by Friday" by Dr. Kevin Leman.

I love that we will taking this class together since all three kids are now attending class themselves.  I hope that it will generate some good discussion about our parenting (I'm sure my better half is less hopeful.)  The opportunity to add more "tools" to the tool box on child raring is always something I'm enticed my.  But it's not always easy.  Parenting a child with special needs is a whole other playing field.  I wondered today, as we watched the first DVD and got a good feel for what sort of "philosophy" we would be encouraged to try at home, if it is going to contradict what I have already been reading on how to handle our special needs child.  The whole program/book is biblicaly based which is a major plus for me.  I hope that we will be able to use a lot of the material to sort of "spruce" up the discipline that we are already trying to implement. One of the first questions in the follow up section is to describe the climate condition that characterizes our home.  I decided we are partly cloudy.

No comments: