Monday, November 15, 2010

More celebrating....maybe I'm learning?

This past weekend was a whirl wind.  I celebrated my birthday on Thursday (no I'm not going to say how old I am) and it turned into a 4 day event.  Hey, I'm not complaining.  I ate at some of my favorite (and expensive) restaurants and got to go out without the kids on Friday and Saturday night.  On Sunday I went to see the Lion King with my mom and Goose.  It was altogether a wonderful birthday.  All this time spent away from my kids is both a blessing and a curse.  I never know how Goose will react the next day after I wasn't there to put her to bed.  This weekend she went to bed two nights in a row with out her mommy.  I'm glad to report that she seemed to do really well.  On Sunday morning she woke up in high gear, jumping all around in anticipation about going to see the Lion King with my mom and I.   I wasn't sure how she was going to do but this time I felt more prepared.  This time I set the expectation low and assumed the worse.  On the way to church the baby talk started so I knew the disregulation was in full affect.  I must admit that I did really well.  I remained patient and calm despite my annoyance.  Goose was talking incessantly and would not stop moving.  She kept it together pretty well other then seeming bored and playing with her seat.  Oh yeah, and wanting me to carry her like she was a toddler or infant (which I did.)  On the way home she was pretty quiet, she may have even fallen asleep.  Next was dinner out with my parents.  The baby talk started again and she started to complain that everything hurt.  I already began planning what would happen when we got home.  Usually we would get them right into the bath/shower and begin the bedtime routine.  I knew this wasn't going to work for Goose so I decided that as soon as we got home I would take her up to her room to read and just relax together.  She often expresses the need for "mommy time" so I guessed that she really needed me to help her regulate again.  During dinner she did choose to come sit on my lap, wanting me to hold her and love on her.  I was glad to do it.  I'm so happy that instead of acting naughty she is willing to come to me and let me help her calm.  At the same time it's disturbing that my almost seven year old acts younger then my two and a half year old sometimes.  Her emotional age can sometimes revert back to infancy.  When we got home, Jeremy took care of the boys and I took Goose to her room.  She happily picked out books and she and I sat on her bed looking at her books until I felt she was ready to take her shower.  I can't believe it but it worked.  After about a half hour she was ready to take her shower and then even asked to read to her dad (that never happens.)  She went to bed without a fight, no melt down, no crying, no screaming.  Two very happy parents.

No comments: