Tuesday, June 27, 2006

We've Got the Blues, ... the Good Kind!

This is my (Jeremy) first post to the Babel Baby Adoption Blog. Up until now I have only dealt with the technical stuff (not that I needed to, blogger.com makes it all really easy). But as I told Kerry, I would be most excited after our referral. So first order of business, changing the color of our blog from pink to BLUE! We were both originally hoping for Evi to have a sister, but once we found out that our agency would require us to be open to gender, we both started to really like the idea of having a boy. Not that there aren't a couple of downsides to this, for example I hate to paint, and Evi's yellow baby room isn't going to cut it for little Robert Bernard. And then there are all of the pink clothes that will go unused until baby 3 or 4 comes along. But, on the upside, I can picture a nice leather baseball glove shaped toddler chair in his room, good thing Kerry is lying in bed recovering from her recent sinus surgery right now, I'm guessing that isn't going to fit into her plans for the room, but when I find one on eBay and it gets delivered I guess then it will be. To be honest I could have pictured that in Evi's room too, but Evi is all girl and Kerry has her room looking like it belongs in a magazine for the ideal little girl’s room, so I wasn't going to push it. I can't wait to get out of the house to buy him his first glove (don't think I'm going to forget about Evi on this one, there will be a pink one in the cart for her, too. I just want to make sure I buy his first one, I haven't been too worried that someone would beat me to it with Evi, she has been given hundreds of presents, but no glove). I still remember getting my first glove from my dad for my fifth birthday (Jim Catfish Hunter); in fact I still have it. I can't say I still have number 2, 3, and 4, but they were always my favorite birthday presents. Dad took me with for 2, 3, and 4 and of course we bought them way before my August 3rd birthday so we could get them broken in for the season. Just as there will be special Daddy-daughter days with Evi (like a daddy daughter dance or daddy daughter date night), I'm sure there are plenty of father-son moments that I have to look foward to with little Robert Bernard.

Another exciting thing is black White Sox clothes are much easier to find than pink (but don't think we didn't find plenty of pink outfits for Evi, I'd have her wearing a different one everyday if I was the one dressing he in the morning).

Needless to say I'm excited (well we both are, it just a little harder for Kerry to show it still feeling the effects of the anesthesia, It is a different feeling than when we first learned about Evi, that was clearly the greatest day in my life, now I have two of those days. A daughter and a son, what more could we ask for.

Evi, by the way is excited, too. This morning when she woke up I told her that we have big news, and she ran into see mommy and asked her “Mommy, Mommy, what the big news?” To which Kerry responded, “Your baby brother is born!” Evi’s response “Mommy, what the big news?” So we took her to the computer to show her his picture, and then she was excited about her new baby brother. We gave her a wallet-sized picture that she can take with her to show all her friends, she really liked that.

Well, babelbaby2 has been born and we couldn’t be happier.

Jeremy

No comments: